Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Writing Sample 10

And then sometimes I lay on the floor and look at the ceiling and look at myself walking on the ceiling, but that part is too backwards, too up-side-down, too abstract, too outside, and so I just imagine that that ceiling is the floor and I can’t see myself there- I just feel it but I think I might still be up-side-down and it gets really annoying to have to step over all of the door-frame entry-way blockers.

……….

I have decided that swimming and being in love are very much alike. You are completely submerged and everything seems slow, relaxed, laid back, and comfortable. And deafeningly quiet, other than the throbbing pulse of existence, which beats consistently and pleasing. Everything outside of yourself is blurred and distant. And you are utterly calm and content. Maybe I do not mean swimming, I mean holding your breath and lying near the bottom, where there’s a warm pressure that seems to attempt at containing you, but you easily push and glide underneath it, happily sensing its presence and yet gleefully liberated. When you are forced to return to the surface it is entirely devastating. A seal of perfection broken, a euphoric existence lost.

……….

After the last long haul on the bike path, we rolled down to the curb and
pop-ed
a
squat.
There we watched the peak of the road perform. It went wonky, utterly warped. The crest danced underneath the flies, underneath the heat, underneath the tire wheels, and underneath our very roller blades. It cackled and swirled until our eyes began to go sore and out of focus. In an urgent motion, everything stopped.
So we pulled ourselves up and went home.

……….

No comments:

Post a Comment